Waste not

Recycling facilities at CMS Window Systems
Recycling facilities at CMS Window Systems

CMS Window Systems has reported that it has maintained a zero waste to landfill rate for the second year in a row.

The company, which is said to be one of Scotland’s leading designers, manufacturers and installers of PVC-U and aluminium windows, doors and curtain walling, pioneered the concept of closed-loop windows and doors more than 13 years ago by establishing in-house waste recycling facilities alongside its manufacturing operations. This ensures all its waste materials can be fed back into the manufacture of new products with ease in line with the key sustainability goal of creating a circular economy.

In the latest 2018-19 reporting period, CMS says that its recycling facilities received 2,806 tonnes of post-use windows and doors – timber, PVC-U and aluminium frames – which were dismantled and separated ready for collection, along with its manufacturing waste, by specialist recyclers. CMS adds that it is now sending 97% of its waste away for recycling and the remaining 3% is going for use in refuse-derived fuel (RDF) and waste-to-energy (WTE) facilities.

Where possible, recycled materials become part of new windows and doors fabricated by CMS. In the case of its glazing, a partnership with Saint-Gobain Glass enables new double glazed units to contain 38% of post-use recycled glass – which is reported to be an industry leading level.

David Ritchie, CEO and CMS Window Systems, said: “We are delighted to be setting the standard for environmental sustainability in our industry, and waste minimisation and avoiding landfill has always been a key part of our strategy. By achieving a zero waste to landfill rate for a second consecutive year, we have demonstrated that hitting our target last year was not simply a one-off and that our processes and systems are robust and effective for the long term.”