The Lighthouse Construction Industry Charity is supporting Men’s Health Week by raising awareness about its resources to help men within the glazing and wider construction industry. Men’s Health Week ends this Sunday (19 June 2022).
The support offered by Lighthouse includes a helpline that’s available 24/7 (call 0345 605 1956 from the UK or, if you’re in the Republic of Ireland, call 1800 939 122) and a text support service (text HARDHAT to 85258 if you’re in the UK or to 50808 if you’re in the Republic of Ireland.) The charity also offers in-person support at 160 volunteer centres across the country.
Men’s Health Week is all about increasing awareness of preventable health problems for men of all ages and backgrounds. As the construction sector workforce is 87% male, this is particularly pertinent to the glazing and wider built environment industry. Here is some advice:
- Get regular check ups with your doctor.
- Reduce your salt and sugar intake.
- Go for a daily walk.
- Reduce alcohol intake.
- Quit smoking.
- Have breakfast everyday.
- Join a community group.
- Talk to someone.
- Take up a hobby.
- Get a good night’s sleep.
- Adopt relaxation techniques.
Reach out for support
- There is a 24/7 Construction Industry Helpline offering free and confidential emotional, physical and financial wellbeing support, with translation services for those that need extra support. Call 0345 605 1956 from the UK or, if you’re in the Republic of Ireland, call 1800 939 122.
- Download the Construction Industry Helpline Self Support App which signposts to over 3,000 accredited organisations offering specialist support.
- Text HARDHAT to 85258 if you’re in the UK or to 50808 if you’re in the Republic of Ireland. This service gives immediate access to counselling by text.
- Lighthouse Beacons: if you prefer in-person support, there are 160 volunteer centres across the country that offer a safe place to meet in a confidential environment.
- The charity also offers CPD-accredited Wellbeing Masterclasses covering topics such as managing stress, coping with anxiety and building resilience, to name just a few.
If you need help or support now, or know someone that does, access free and confidential support 24/7 by calling the Construction Industry Helpline on 0345 605 1956 if you’re in the UK or 1800 939 122 if you’re in the Republic of Ireland (ROI). Alternatively, text HARDHAT to 85258 (UK) or 50808 (ROI). In case you missed it, check out our editor’s interview with Lighthouse Charity’s CEO.